Who do you most admire and why?
I have never been an individual who has had any real idols and I certainly do not subscribe to the world of celebrities. I am regularly inspired by single acts, like most thing in my life they are a very varied, but the one thing that they all have in common is that the individuals have gone over and above. It’s the unsung heroes I respect the most –forget your “celebrity”looking for that photo shoot opportunity. The person that stops in the street to take time to speak to the homeless, the folk who water the village hanging baskets, the team who organise beach clean ups. Their reward is only in the pleasure they get from selfless acts of kindness.
What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
Don’t look 1 month ahead, immediate happiness is nothing to long term happiness. I have over the years had a great deal of success, I would be telling my 20-year-old self that the expensive suits, cars etc etc would be better being invested. I would ask myself to blend short term & long term, yes enjoy success but plan for the future as well.
What’s your guilty pleasure?
I am not sure that I would class it as a guilty pleasure but it might surprise a few folk –I love a good musical & visiting the theatre, I do insist on trying to get the best seats though, which for me are in the stalls, as central as possible and about 12 rows back so that my eyeline is the performers eyeline.
Your perfect day?
My perfect day would probably last 5 days as I try and cram everything into it.
- A family cuddle with the long-suffering partner, my two kids & dog
- Watching my kids in an activity of their choice
- Holding a putt on the 18th on one of my favourite golf courses in the Algarve.
- Watching the sun dancing on the ocean
- Sat in front of a roaring fire
- Smashing down an empty, freshly bashed red ski run
- Sat in a pub enjoying a pint of real ale with my mates talking bollo*ks
- A fabulous meal with a great bottle of full-bodied red wine
- The moment a goal goes in for Leeds
- Headphones plugged in and listening to great music alone in my thoughts
- Achieving something I have never done before and had to overcome a personal fear in doing so
When building a team, what 2 key things are you looking for?
Loyalty & Trustworthiness
Your most embarrassing moment (that we can publish!)
I am never embarrassed by my activities –friends and family are the ones normally embarrassed. Live life to the full and have no regrets.
How are you finding your return to Yorkshire after so many years away?
Frustration…………why did I leave it so many years before I returned?Don’t get me wrong, I have lived in some fabulous places and made many friend and memories, but nothing beats home. One Yorkshireisum sums me up nicely.
“I know’s what I like and I likes what I knows”